14th & 15th January 2023
Let’s begin the new year with observing skimmers!
After the successful two years of the Indian Skimmer Count, Bombay Natural History Society in association with Bird Count India announces the third coordinated global Indian Skimmer Count. The first phase will be conducted on 14th – 15th January 2023. Like the previous two years, participants are encouraged to visit any of the short-listed sites or other potential sites of their choice where Indian Skimmers are likely to be recorded on the count dates.
This is an initiative to fill the knowledge gap about the Indian Skimmer population. For participating please register yourself using the link below.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE INDIAN SKIMMER COUNT
- Visit any of the short-listed sites from here or any other sites of your choosing either on 14th January or 15th January 2023 or both the dates
- Count total number of Indian Skimmer at the selected site. For more details on how to count skimmers CLICK HERE
- Upload your counts to the eBird mobile app, Please see this PDF that provides step by step procedure to upload your skimmer counts using the eBird Mobile app.
- If possible, undertake a careful count of Juvenile, Immature and Adults. See here for understanding age classification. To learn about how to edit and add additional information in your checklists, see here
- To add photos and call recordings to your eBird checklist, use the “add media” link. See here to know about how to upload media in your checklist.
- We encourage participants to contribute their observations/data through eBird platform. However, participants can also use Google form OR MS word fill-in data-sheet to contribute their observations. Email the MS word filled data-sheet to email@example.com For details on using datasheet CLICK HERE.
- If you are not comfortable using the app, then upload your sightings through ebird.org. And then share the checklist with the user ID-Indian Skimmer or email ID firstname.lastname@example.org Refer to this article on how to share a checklist.
More details for conducting the count will be shared to the registered participants.
For any queries and clarifications, please contact
Ms. Parveen Shaikh
Coordinator- Indian Skimmer count
Bombay Natural History Society, Hornbill House, Opp. Lion Gate, S.B. Singh Road, Mumbai-400 001, India. Phone No: -+91-22-22821811 (Office)
Header Image: Flock of Indian Skimmer Rynchops albicollis by Srikanth Mannepuri