The Library of the BNHS is one of the oldest and largest libraries on natural history in India. This is a special library having information sources on Natural History, Wildlife, Ecology, Zoology, Botany and Environment Conservation. Its collection of antique books and rare lithographs of the 19th and 20th Century, which are not available elsewhere, is priceless. It also has a valuable collection of photo-negatives, transparencies, particularly those of the late E. P. Gee, Loke Wan Tho, R.S.P. Bates, M. Krishna, Dr. Sálim Ali and those generated by the various scientific projects of the BNHS.
• The Library has a unique collection of books periodicals, journals, scientific reports and theses from the world over on wildlife and environment, all under one roof.
• More than 23,000 books
• About 5,000 bound volumes of a variety of scientific journals with about 200 current journals.
• About 1500 reports and a total 150 theses
• A collection of 2000 rare books dating back to early 19th century, ranging from popular to technical.
• The Library is also equipped with a collection of photographs, lithographs, and transparencies.
• Reports: The Library has a collection of project reports of ecological studies of various areas, mammal, avian and botanical surveys and wildlife conservation executed by the Society and others.
• Theses: The BNHS is affiliated to the Mumbai University for Ph.D. and M.Sc., in zoology and botany. As of date we have 150 theses.
Library Hours: Monday to Friday: 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Apart from servicing the Society’s members, the BNHS library acts as a major information center providing services to institutions and individuals throughout the country and abroad. Many researchers are availing our facilities for in-depth studies through:
1. Circulation Service:
· If Rs. 750/-( Rupees Seven Hundred and fifty only.) deposit is paid ,two books are issued to all eligible members,
· Theses, dissertations, Reports, journals, CDs, video cassettes are not lent out of the library.
· The readers should check the book thoroughly for missing pages, chapters, pictures etc., while borrowing the book.
· No book in damaged condition will be accepted from the reader. Mutilated or spoiled books will have to be replaced by the borrower.
· Books will be issued for 30 days. Books can be renewed once. After that, late fee is Rs. 1/day/book
· For the rules for replacement of lost book kindly contact the Circulation Section.
· Books are reissued only if there are no claims.
· The borrowing facility can be withdrawn or restricted in case of misbehavior or misuse of the library.
· Non-members will have to pay visitor’s fees Rs. 50/day/head
· Members should bring their membership cards with them.
2. Reference Service:
The Library maintains a separate reference collection consisting of rare books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, directories, handbooks, and are kept under lock and key.
Readers may approach the library staff. for information or any assistance in the use of the Library Collections and Services.
3. Photocopy Service:
-The Library offers photocopying service to all its members, walk-in users and others.
-Only single copy of journal articles and book chapters are provided for private study and research purpose.
- Photo Copy Charges are as follows
1. Document Delivery Service
Central Library also supplies photocopies to Institutes / individuals by post on payment
2. Users Awareness Programme
The librarian takes an active part in the orientation programme. Newly joined member are taken around the library to familiarize them with various resources and services available for them. Any user desiring to know more about library resources and service or to learn how to use a particular resource should contact Librarian.
1. Go to www.granthalaya.org
2. In search box click Ctrl+g (To stop Devnagari Script)
3. Choose Library “Bombay Natural History Society”
4. Enter Key Word.