Bharat ke Pakshi
As a part of its nature education and public awareness initiatives, publication of books and magazines has been an important endeavour for BNHS in order to reach out to the masses with the message of conservation. Magazines and newsletters published by BNHS include the following:
Hornbill: Quarterly magazine for BNHS members – Covers wildlife articles, photos, natural history observations, wildlife travelogues, book reviews, news briefs of BNHS activities and other interesting features
Journal: Journal of BNHS or JBNHS is a peer reviewed quarterly scientific journal that is considered one of the most authentic and prestigious publications by the scientific community for publication of papers. It is available to BNHS members for an extra subscription. The past 100 issues of JBNHS are also available on a DVD – Covers research papers, research notes, book reviews and other scientific content pertaining to natural history
Mistnet: Quarterly newsletter for members of Indian Bird Conservation Network (IBCN) – a network of bird conservation NGOs from across India, initiated by BNHS – Covers articles, photos, research updates and conservation stories pertaining to various Important Bird Areas (IBAs) across India.
Buceros: Quarterly newsletter of the ENVIS (Environmental Information System) Centre at BNHS, run in collaboration with Government of India – Covers articles, updates, news, photos and databases on birds, avian ecology and inland wetlands
BNHS has published nearly 70 insightful, informative and interesting books in English as well as Indian languages such Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Urdu, Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam, till now. Books such as “Book of Indian Birds” by Sálim Ali remain all time favourites over the decades. The books published till now can be categorized as follows.
· Field guides on mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, butterflies, shells and plants
· Reference books covering topics such as important bird areas, Ramsar sites, threatened birds, waterbirds, bird banding and parks and wildlife sanctuaries
· Coffee table books covering the wildlife writing, paintings and photos of the past 200 years and role of Indian Army in conservation
· Checklists and bird atlas of bird habitats such as Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Bharatpur and Chilika
· Popular titles on natural history on topics such as marine biodiversity, bird biodiversity, elephants and scientific names of birds
For brief description of some of the popular titles, click on the links below: