Sanjay S. Karkare
Name: Sanjay S. Karkare
Designation: Assistant Director
Joining Date: Jan.2005, based in Nagpur
About me & my work:
I am In charge of Satpuda Landscape Tiger Programme (SLTP) mobile education and community sustainability unit. It is a landscape level conservation programme with multiple partners and supported by BornFree Foundation, WildCru, Oxford University, Tata Steel, Share and Care Foundation, Van Neste Foundation and few individual donors. The purpose of the programme is to address tiger conservation issues in Satpuda Landscape which is world’s second largest integrated tiger landscape surrounding 8 tiger reserves and 5 sanctuaries. My work covers the whole landscape through two mobile education units with some of the following major objectives
· Generating peoples support for tiger conservation through creating environmental awareness amongst local community in fringe villages of protected areas.
· Empowering and engaging women groups in natural resource conservation
· Organize sustained and long-term training and capacity building programmes for students, teachers, youths, women & field staff of forest department and tour guides.
· Develop profound understanding of values of forest & their produce as well as tigers & other wildlife and raise environmental awareness on issue based conservation
· Establishing linkages between local communities and government agencies and various schemes
· Provide effective alternatives to the use of natural resources through traditional and modern efficient technologies and value added economy
· Influence policies with effective advocacy with state forest departments
My professional achievement
· SLTP Mobile Education Unit is now considered as an extension unit of various protected areas management regimes
· Created environment awareness amongst more than 50,000 students since 2007
· Able to establish several linkages between local communities and various government departments that allowed to take the benefits of various government schemes to grass root level
· Received funding from government agencies to conduct awareness activities
· Repaired more than 1500 defunct biogas plants around tiger reserve with the funds from forest department and thus helped reduce dependency of women on fire wood collection and helping reduce human-wildlife conflict.
· Women and youth programmes received positive response and allowed for capacity building and employment of many youths as tourist guides in various PAs
· Published various news articles about SLTP in several local and national news papers
· Successfully completed LEAD Europe Sustainability Leadership Programme
My passion is working in nature, wildlife and people. Wildlife photography, arranged many wildlife photography exhibitions. Also attended Basic Mountaineering Course, Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Darjeeling, West Bengal – One Month, Basic Ornithology Course, BNHS, Mumbai – One year, Basic Environment Education Course, WWF, Kolhapur – One month, Attainted many Ornithology conferences, Wildlife Seminars, Environment Education Workshops.